Thursday, April 5, 2012

Are You Dating A Sociopath? Red Flags of the Heart Shaped Hornet's Nest

1. Inconsistent behavior.  You might date a person who seldom picks up the telephone to call, or you may find yourself dating someone who calls twenty times a day.  Frequency of contact is not necessarily an accurate indication of sociopathic behavior, but the pattern of contact just might be.  Those with sociopathic behaviors may go days without contacting their partner, and then may suddenly go through a period where they contact their partner incessantly.
2. Lack of life-long friends.  A common misconception is that sociopaths are reclusive loners, but in reality many sociopaths can appear to be quite popular.  If you suspect you are dating a sociopath, don't count the number of friends that your partners has, but instead count the number of life-long friends your partner has.  A sociopath can only "hide" his or her behavior for so long, so if a person has several life-long friends, it indicates mental stability.
3. Sociopaths often have deviant sexual fantasies.  A little excitement in the bedroom is one thing, but when your partner suggests sexual activities that are excessively violent or degrading in nature, this may indicate that you are dating a sociopath.
4. Sociopaths seldom come from stable families.  It is a smart idea to examine the background of a person's family before you decide to date them.  Since sociopathic behavior patterns are often learned in early age, trace an indicidual's family history back to childhood.  Was your partner physically abused as a child?  Did your partner come from a broken home or a dysfunctional family?  These things great increase a person's chances of becoming a sociopath.
5. Unstable employment history.  If your partner can't seem to hold down a job for more than a few months, this often indicates sociopathic tendencies.  Sociopaths will have a difficult time surrounding themselves with the same group of people for a long period of time.
Of course, these are just five things that may indicate that you are dating a sociopath.  Since every human being is mentally wired in a different way, different behaviors may exist.  However, any of the five warning signs above should immediately raise a red flag.  (Marlin Bressi)

Single women (especially previously-married ones) are prime pickin's for married men and sociopaths. As a not-unattractive female who's divorced, and a person who minored in psychology and earned two degrees, I have gathered enough education and personal experience to know what I'm saying is true. And as a former counselor, counseling mostly females, I've heard enough stories to fill a book.
Just in case you're thinking, "Hey, wait! Not all married men are sociopaths!" let me concur. But do you know which ones are? That is the point of this article! What is a sociopath?
Using the official diagnostic version from The DSM-IV-TR and The American Journal of Psychiatry (diagnostic manuals) and my own training and experience, here's some help in understanding the sociopath.
* Essentially, a sociopath will glibly lie, charm and use others, without a moment's remorse over hurting anyone. 
* They're often, but not always, more charismatic, charming and sexy than the average person. 
* Sociopaths can feign every kind of emotion; yet they know only "feral" [wild, savage, deadly] pleasures. 
* Sociopaths find rewards in the hunt. 
* Their joys are in conquest and in winning. 
* They understand love, know how to manipulate it, but can not feel either love or empathy.
* They have a Grandiose Sense of Self. They feel entitled to certain things as "their right." 
* Shallow Emotions are all they have! When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. They are outraged by insignificant matters, yet remain unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises! 
* Manipulative and Conning, oh yeah! They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may eventually dominate and humiliate their victims.
When I think "sociopath" I think of Ted Bundy and Scott Peterson; however, not all sociopaths are murderers! I had decades of close exposure to a sociopath who destroyed everyone who cared about him, and there's not a hint of remorse in his behavior, attitude, or conversation. As a matter of interest, this particular person talks like he has been victimized by everyone in his life! Each woman he has had a relationship with in the last seven years has eventually tired of his bid for pity and his hair-trigger temper and each one has exited rapidly.
The problem with honest, decent people is that we don't expect others to be dangerous or predatory. Since we don't expect it, we don't see it even when it's right in front of us. So let's talk about the weaknesses of lonely, trusting, unmarried women.
In case you're thinking, "What does this have to do with my life?" here's an example. Let's say you, like me, are a Christian woman who has met a man who professes to also be a Christian. Here are some questions you can ask yourself, as I have:
* Have I lost my in-loveness with God? Juggling all the demands of parenting, job, maintaining a house, a yard, and possibly a pet can leave a woman emotionally depleted. Meeting that charming "Christian" who makes me feel like a woman again is mighty tempting! Do I find myself assuming that the answer lay in some man, some adventure, or some emotional "rush"? Am I so needy that I am now vulnerable?* Is he doing the hard work of healing, or does he wear his hurt like a badge? Do I ever get the sense that he has submitted his life and will to God? Has he forgiven those who hurt him? Are there any signs that he is learning or growing, or is he constantly playing for my pity?* Am I more interested in romance than relationship? Does this man appear to be my ideal, my fantasy, my answer to an inner craving for attention? Am I tempted to chuck reality in favor of feeling flirty, experiencing intense passion, and escaping from the mundane, ordinariness of life?* Although I feel desired, do I feel affirmed, valued and honored? In short, aremy dreams less important to him than my body? Does he affirm my dreams and treasure my personhood all that I am, with my shadow side, imperfections and ordinariness?* Am I more attracted to his persona than to his character? Yes, he's funny, charming, intelligent, and successful. And his moves! Oh, my goodness! It's hard to forget those moves, and it seems to be dominating my thinking. Is who I am getting lost in this frenetic high?* Is he living up to his commitments or making promises he doesn't keep? Is he doing just enough to earn my trust, so that when my suspicions are raised, I feel foolish pressing for answers?
* Do I feel free to voice my questions? Has he given me his 
home address or phone number? Can he meet me for real dates, or only for hour and always before an "important meeting"? Does he take me only to lunch, but never to dinner? Does he return cell phone calls any time, even on the weekends? Does he give me excuses for not being available on holidays, like, "I'm visiting my 85 year old mother out-of-state."?* Does my "gut" know something is off? If so, have I called the church he attends to see if his recent address still lists him as married? Have I checked for the divorce record at the county clerk building? Have I questioned others about his singleness?*Do I feel I'm losing my dignity? Little things add up: Do I feel "less than" when he leaves? *Do I find self-doubt increasing inside myself? Does he have a cute little way of belittling me in front of others? Are his jokes derisive of women?*If you ask yourself these questions and your "gut" is telling you something is not right, do as I have done: run as fast as you can in the opposite direction! Yes, we are luckier than those women who have been murdered by sociopaths; however, may I remind you that there are many forms of death? A man who kills my spirit, robs me of my dignity and my will to live is just as dangerous, in my book! And if I marry him? Well, I don't think I have to spell out that one!
If you'd like to learn more about the traits of sociopaths, written in simple layman language, I recommend The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout, PhD (a psychotherapist with a knack for writing great books).
Dr. Stout says that as many as 4% of the population are conscienceless sociopaths who have no empathy or affectionate feelings for humans or animals. [Other sources say one in 5 of our population are sociopaths.] As Dr. Stout (The Myth of Sanity) explains, a sociopath is defined as someone who displays at least three of fifteen distinguishing characteristics, such as
* deceitfulness, * impulsivity and * a lack of remorse.
Such people often have a superficial charm, which they exercise ruthlessly in order to get what they want.
Dr Stout offers these guidelines for your protection:
In a contest between your instincts and what is implied by the role a person has taken onas educator, doctor, bossgo with your instincts!
When considering a new relationship of any kind, practice the rule of threes: one lie, one broken promise, one neglected responsibility may be a misunderstanding. Three says you're dealing with a liar, and deceit is the linchpin of conscience-less behavior. Do not give your money, your work, your secrets or your affections to a three-timer!
Suspect flattery. It is the material of counterfeit charm and nearly always involves an intention to manipulate.
If necessary, redefine your concept of respect. Do not mistake your fear, anxiety or awe for respect. Respect should be reserved for those who are strong, kind and morally courageous.
Remember what is really important: protecting yourself. You may never be able to make your friends or family understand why you are avoiding a particular person. Avoid him anyway.
Question your tendency to pity too easily. Pity should be reserved for innocent people, not those who actively campaign for your sympathy. [Have you heard of codependency?]
Challenge your need to be polite in all circumstances. Do not be afraid to be unsmiling and calmly to the point.
Girls, the bottom line is be self-aware and self-protective. And above all, don't expect any man to fill all your needs. That only makes you more vulnerable to the unscrupulous men out there. Have a wide circle of friends, stay involved in church and other group activities, and don't forget Who you can trust the most. Don't lose touch with Him! I know, from experience, He will protect you. (April Lorier)


https://www.facebook.com/RespitefromSociopathicBehavior?ref=tn_tnmn

20 comments:

  1. This was a great post! i dated a sociopath. I caught him cheating with two other women. he made us all think we were the only one. when i looked in his eyes when i confronted him,i saw no remorse, no sadness...nothing. he knew the right things to say but for the first time i realized he had no feelings whatsoever. i am thankful i wasn't with him very long and that i went with my instincts and investigated his lies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He took advantage of my naiveness and trust. Now he's doing it to another girl.

      Delete
    2. They rape your sense of self, your naivete,your willingness to be a humanitarian. They are loathsome beings.

      Delete
    3. T, that is a classic description of a sociopath, making you all think you were the one! Thankfully, you are out!

      Delete
  2. I am also thankful that i woke up and smelled the roses before it was too late. He spent 3 years studying me and i always pushed away because my instincts always told me too,he waited until i was the most vulnerable to really take out the manipulating charming skills and I finally gave it up. Gladly the relationship only lasted 8 mnths,If it was'nt for him sleeping with one of my sibilings I would of been heading down the road of hell because the illusion of love these people create can greatly dupe you and I was even thinking about moving him in with me. Ladies please pull out your scanning HD binoculars before dating because these men are evil evil evil.... Blessed be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost got threw up after reading this. I have been with one of these and now he's fucking another girl telling her the same lies. And she took him back no less...Married too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, she will be on the yoyo until she finally figures it all out and says "enough".

      Delete
    2. it's been a long and painful road back for me. I think I'm getting better. He told me things that I never heard from a man. But I know karma will finally happen. I pray that he doesn't hurt his family.

      Delete
    3. I know I'm forever changed by what he did to me. I've even thought of suicide. That other girl won't break it off, he won't let her if the sex is good.

      Delete
    4. I was dumped via text from my ex bf only to find he was screwing a customer for over a month before the text at my work where I got him a job! Found out he did 12 years in prision for 1st degree sexual assault! He duped me...now he got a 22 yr old girl pregnant - he is 48 yrs old! He is now demanding I pay him back for the tires he bought for my vehicle and $60 he gave me! Creep

      Delete
    5. I also need to add how...
      A)never ever admits to wrong doing
      B)extremely likeable
      C)disappears constantly - no cell phone reception he SAYS
      D)every past relationship ended for him in disaster-no fault of his own
      Goes into temper tantrums uses explilitives
      Constntly moves around the U S A

      Delete
  4. I, unfortunately, was a victim of such a person for 15 yrs. I always suspected something was different about him, but couldnt quite put my finger on it. He would cheat, because he thought I was cheating, so he felt if he cheated on me, we would be even. Then of course, his stories kept changing for the reasons why he cheated. We separated numerous times, 1 was for over 2 yrs, I took him back as he begged me. His behvior didnt change. I found several video tapes of him and ex gf's, and even one of him having sex with a teen girl. He left me with over $500k in debt, has absolutely no remorse, no sorrow for leaving me and the kids, no remorse for the debt he caused, and hes onto the next. He loves to boast that everyone loves him, he even turned my family against me. The more I read this blog, the better I feel because I thought I was losing my mind. I now realize, its him thats crazy and not me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I feel like I've been enlightened today. I also feel like a complete and totally IDIOT for falling into the world of lies and manipulation over and over again.
    I've always been a very social and outgoing person. I left my husband and ended up with someone even worse after. He promised me he would give me a better life, that I deserved to be happy and taken care of. We moved in together right away. He didn't have a job. I got him one. Two tumultuous years later we were expecting a baby. I tried to make it work. He "agreed" at "allow" me to be a stay at home mom but, then had NO steady work. I have been a work-from-home-mom supporting the family since before my son was 6 months old. He can take the littlest fights and blow them into the most major things twisting everything to have me believe that it's really all MY fault and I am too sensitive. I call him Dr. Jekyl and Mr Hyde sometimes cause you flip a switch and set him off. A glaze comes over his eyes and it's like he's not even there anymore. He never shows and care, concern, or remorse when he hurts me (he's not physical, instead he attacks me with his words. He knows just how to make me cry.....and it's always MY fault). I finally got the guts to stand up for myself and my son who wasn't even two...and he attempted suicide. We were apart 5 months and I was still reeling from the craziness of the 4 year relationship and being "free" for the first time...I was doing some silly dating until he convinced me that he wanted and needed his family back (after all he had no friends or family to speak of) Oh, but.....he had himself a new girlfriend who let him move in right away and was supporting him while he didn't work...... told me that he would do anything to get me back and he'd go to therapy and get a job and really prove he wanted his family. Hasn't even been two months and it's back to the same old bullshit. No respect. No ambition. Not going to therapy. Constant Migraines and foul moves. Involving our son in our fights. Taking no responsibility and blaming me for everything and saying I am the one who needs to change. I am so embarrassed and confused and lost. I tried so hard to make it work again for our son....for our family... but, now I fear having him around my son will make my son grow up to exhibit the same behaviors. I just want to be happy. I just want to be free of the constant manipulation and mind games. I feel like I am the one going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is not just men either. I was forced to walk out of a job recently because a younger female colleague was targeting me with constant flirting. The intensity began to increase but it was noticeable that she chose moments when no one else was around - even to do the normal things in life like saying 'Hi!' or smiling in passing, which none of the other female staff had a problem with. Unfortunately, I knew nothing about sociopathic behaviour at the time and I falied to blow the whistle until it was much too late (I told another female colleague towards the end but even then, it was too late). I tried to take the whole thing out of work through a social media site and at least get her to define what was going on. I guess you are already ahead of me having read the above - she blocked me without even replying even though I only mentioned friendship. It is clear in hindsight that she did not want me to have any power within the interactions although I did also suspect she may have had some poor advice. Looking back, I never had a chance from the moment this all began and whilst walking out of a job that I liked was hardly ideal, I had little choice. Indeed, the management took a 'talk to the hand' attitude when I finally revealed why I had left, which goes to show that it is still difficult for males to be believed even in the 21st Century.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was married for 20 yrs to a con man and now after leaving realise what a fool i have been.I have no material possessions or home or support from anyone and have tried to end my life several times.I wish i would die in my sleep

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trust me when I tell you that this does not just happen to people in their twenties or thirties. You can be in your fifties and still get sucked in to the love bombing. It's not always someone you just meet. In my case it was someone I had known for over 25 years, lost touch, reconnected. Never in a million years would have suspected. Really didn't even no what to look for. Always associated sociopath with serial killers etc. I believed everything he said, even gave him a second chance when he cheated. When he realized I was not going to be his sole means of emotional support, I am well educated, great job and very independent, that being attached at the hip 24/7 was not realistic, I became of no use to him. It can happen in an instant. Literally one day you are their life, remember they can only live vicariously through some one else, the next you don't even exist. Its like you have sucker punched. Sociopaths cannot be alone. They would just as well have sex with a tree stump than be alone. Trust me before they dupe you there is always someone else in play. Sociopaths lack the ability to feel and love like normal people do. Everything they do has an agenda behind it. All of their lifes tragedies are always some elsrs fault. When caught they have the ability to turn things around and even turn on tears to make the true victim feel guilty. Just remember these people cannot,I repeat, cacannot be fixed. There is no pill to get rid of the problem. Never ever best yourself up for falling prey to one, for that is what we are to them...prey. Remember too it has nothing to do with intelligence. I have a Masters Degree and am very successful and I did not see it coming. Also remember that once YOU are rid of the human vampire, yes I said YOU. Even if he duped you, you are rid of him.... You can in no way ever engage him again. Delete him completely from your life. Chances are, if like me, you actually call him a sociopath to his face, you have now made him, you are now a threat and he will avoid you. However he will make attempts to discredit you for one reason out of fear you will out him and a second to claim you are a Psycho strokes his ego and he will use this with his next victim to make himself more appealing. Never make attempts to warn people. It only makes you look like the vengeful, bitter ex, the new person wont believe you because they are being love bombed, just as you were and most of all you are giving the sociopath attention, which is what they thrive on, good or bad its attention.
    Hope this heps anyone out there that is or has gone through this. Dont rush yourself. Give yourself time. Because a break up with a sociopath is not like a break up with a normal person. Dont try to make sense of an illusion, you will drive yourself crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, im in the middle of breaking up with my Sociopathic partner. He has cheated, lied, stolen and lied for two years. Hes moving out this week, or so he says.....although he did tell me he loves me yesterday....lol....Im on to his tricks now....my guard is finally up...and im bracing myself for the finale', what ever that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! This is my good friends ex narc hole husband to a T. A real jerk of jerks. Con man all the way! Pathologically lied, used so many women it's pathetic to speak about, stole money, rammed my good friends credit into the ground, spent money like mad, had affairs, destroyed relationships with countless business partners, exploited younger gals for sex, never paid his fair share, blamed it all on my good friend, he was "bored" he was "tired" he needed "excitement." Some "spark," what he needed was a good strong dose of reality instead of living in La La Land, he was chronically late for family dinners, we always had to eat cold food. Talk about who the stupid ones were? Us! For tolerating it, he never liked the word no. He seriously thought he was God. He got himself in so much trouble financially, sexually, emotionally, and caused everyone else toxic spew damage the only thing he could do was stay in La La Land and live in complete and utter denial. They are evil. There is no other word to describe it. Selfish, self-serving, manipulative, exploitive, coercive, evil monsters that have not 1 oz of remorse, empathy, or any normal human feeling for anyone but their own selfish demands and agendas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine was a human vampire, you are so right they don't like to be alone. Why? Because they need constant praise, admiration, being waited on, catered to, sexed, ego stroked, worst punishment or treatment you can give a narcissist is to totally ignore them. They can't stand it. LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME WHAT ABOUT ME is their claim to fame. Annoying to the point of insane. If I didn't give mine attention from the moment he rolled out of bed until he rolled back into bed constantly he would go cheat or threaten to cheat. Ridiculous behavior, immature, reckless behavior. He couldn't handle real life, real bills, real issues. He wanted play time all the time. No serious time only screw off at everyone else expense. Well, heard through the grapevine that he and his so-called "other women" plural are not too happy right now. Umpteen headaches, bills, issues with all the kids of who's going where who's doing what, no stability (that doesn't surprise me.) Blame shifting, gas lighting, tantrums, the whole nine. No thanks, been there done that not doing it again. As far as I'm concerned this little young chickadees did me a HUGE FAVOR, they want a man that cheats on his wife Please TAKE HIM. Goodbye! Hasta lluego, don't let the door split ya where the God lord hit ya. Let them see what it's like to put up with the lies, the money issues, the other women, possible STD's, creditors, pissed off clients, no good sleep, stomach in knots, the promises he can't and never will keep, him writing checks his ass can't afford, the drinking, the drug abuse, the porn abuse, this addiction that addiction. Him needing his "free" time on the weekends and 1x or 2x a week that he'd disappear to go have his affairs or drink with his immature waste of space 40+ loser buddies that have done did been married and divorced with umpteen kids for the fourth or fifth time already. Yep, no thanks. Life is good without him wrecking it. Good day!

    ReplyDelete